Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Timesink, part 1

Just a edit test

I recently helped a friend set up a Minecraft server. I had set one up nearly a year ago, and had _some_ experience. Since the server became impossible to admin because of the frequent Minecraft updates (which would break the server), the Bukkit project has matured and become a really nice, solid server with lots of fun plugins.

While looking at plugins, I started to come up with a storyline that people could dive into on the server. Lost cities? Mathematical clues to finding them? A mysterious catastrophe? Yes, please, with a Coke.

For the past few weeks I have been working out ways to auto-generate cities; I'm willing to be Dungeon Master for the server, but I don't want to spend my life building pretend cities one block at a time.

Here are some of the first tests. A desert-type architecture (I know it's in a swamp)

and a colder, architecture


I still need to work on getting the building types for swamps, plains and forests, but these first two have shown me the steps I need to take.

Soon, I'll talk a bit about the mathematical puzzle about where to find the cities.

No comments:

Post a Comment